Dear velvet, I'm sorry...


One thing that I have particularly loved about writing this blog is that it's forced me to more closely analyze pictures of great interiors- to stop and think about my likes and dislikes rather than just saying "ooh pretty" or "yuck" and moving on to the next picture. And sometimes after enough analysis, I end up coming around to something that I thought I disliked (or vice versa!).




Such is the case with velvet. Maybe it was being a child of the 80's, but to me velvet always conjured up images of froofy party dresses and big hair. Or something that should have dogs playing poker painted on it.




ebay111808no286.jpg image by blueridger  





But I'm glad to say that over the last few months I've realized that I was completely, utterly, and hopelessly wrong about velvet. In fact, I've come to conclude that nothing says "cozy-luxe" like velvet in a rich jewel color. Further, velvet doesn't have to be wintery or heavy- in a way, it can really lighten up a room. A sampling of some of my velvet-heavy interiors:





Nick Olsen. Love that decadent peacock blue!








Lindsey Harper. Chinoiserie fun!





Mary McDonald. Crisp and cozy!








Suzanne Kasler. Velvet/linen pairings are popular these days.


Suzie





Via Decorpad.








Miles Redd. Why yes, I'd love to cozy on up to this couch!








Woodson & Rummerfield. Velvet is lovely on this pair of chairs.








Elle Decor So Chic: Glamorous Lives, Stylish Spaces. Wonderful contrast between the heavy velvet drape and the light roman shade...and the velvet cushion on the lucite chair.


elle decor 13.jpg





Liz Pomerantz's NY apartment. Via Elle Decor.


Modern-traditional mix: Platner table + Barcelona stools + luxe velvet, from Elle Decor by xJavierx.





House Beautiful. Not sure about the fabric on that chair, but the headboard- WOW!








Decorpad. This is supposedly a girl's room but I'd be ok with moving right in.


girl's rooms - royal blue  hot pink  upholstered  velvet   headboard  white  bedding  glossy  blue  chandelier  ivory cornice box  boxes  ivory drapes  pink  ribbon  border  window treatments  blue  velvet  tufting  tufted  bench  pink  geometric  rug  baby blue  gourd  lamp  ivory walls  paint color  bedroom





Are you a fan of velvet? Do you have any of it in your own home?

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Dear velvet, I'm sorry...

Save Dear velvet, I'm sorry... on social network: